In 2022, County Legislators created the position of Teen Poet Laureate of Suffolk County, a non-funded position with an inaugural term of June 1, 2022 through May 31, 2024. The Teen Poet Laureate creates opportunities to promote and bring poetry by and for young residents of Suffolk County into the community as a positive force and encourages others to reach their potential.
Deborah Hauser, the current Suffolk County Poet Laureate, Ella O’Connor, the current Suffolk County Teen Poet Laureate, and the former Poets Laureate, invite you to apply to be appointed Suffolk County’s next Teen Poet Laureate.
- Students living in Suffolk County.
- Ages 13 through 19.
- Entrants should be able to serve a 2-year term from June 1, 2024 through May 31, 2026.
The application packet must be submitted by a junior high or high school teacher on the student’s behalf and must include:
- Teacher’s letter of recommendation.
- 3 poems, each no longer than 60 lines, any form, style, or topic.
- A short CV documenting:
- candidate’s leadership and civic engagement, such as an activity (formal or informal) promoting the quality of life in their school or community and demonstrating a commitment to equity and inclusiveness.
- Evidence of past literary publication and awards will be considered but Is not a requirement.
- Letter of recommendation, poems, CV, and cover letter should all be submitted in one Word file (not a PDF file nor in the body of the e-mail.)
ENTRY PACKETS MUST BE RECEIVED BY E-MAIL NO LATER THAN JANUARY 16, 2024. E-mail packets to email@example.com
The current Teen Laureate and a panel of former Laureates will select the next Teen Laureate and finalists, whom will be invited to participate in a celebration at the Walt Whitman Birthplace in 2024.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about the application process.